Dear Parents / Carers,
Welcome to the Autumn Term!
This year our Year 6 class will be taught by Mrs Gagg and Mrs Dickinson.
The move to year 6 is a very important time for your child. They are now the role models for the rest of the school and as such we expect them to be responsible and set a good example to all the other year groups. Year 6 pupils will often be asked to help in the school and be given the opportunity to develop their social skills by helping others.
In Year 6 we will help to prepare the pupils for the transition to secondary education. They will be actively encouraged to be more independent and self-reliant, taking much more responsibility for their own learning. We expect a high-level of behaviour from all Year 6 pupils and rewards will be given for displaying these positive learning behaviours.
This term our theme is Stewardship, looking at ways we can make positive changes to our local area, the UK or the wider world. Year 6 pupils are concerned with the condition of the roads and pavements and will be writing to government agencies about improving our local transport links. We know it is important to exercise and we need better footpaths in Abbotsham to do this safely. We will be reading the HIGHWAY CODE and researching how to stay safe. We will be conducting surveys and investigating how to keep ourselves safe in our local area. Most of our lessons will be based on each topic, so English, art, science, RE, geography and history will be topic based making it a creative curriculum.
Maths will sometimes be taught through our topics where appropriate. We will continue to learn maths using the Connective Model. Written maths homework and IXL maths will be sent home each Friday, though your child must continue to practise their mental strategies at home, such as times tables, adding and subtracting 2 digit numbers.
English will include learning spellings using different strategies, learning and practising grammar and punctuation, extended writing for different purposes and poetry. We still expect the children to practise their English skills online with IXL.
We will be outside as much as possible for PE so please make sure kits are in every day – they will be sent home each half term to be washed. Please ensure your child has a FULL change of clothes and trainers.
All homework will be recorded by pupils in their purple home-school books. We would encourage parents to read the home-school books to check for homework. Also if pupils are having difficulties with any of the work please write a note in the home-school book.
We would always expect parents to support us in our drive to improve literacy standards by reading regularly with their children and helping with homework tasks. Reading diaries will be checked most days. Reading books will be issued from the School Library but please encourage pupils to read a variety of their own books, magazines and articles.
We feel that parental support and help is invaluable at the end of Key Stage 2. The children will increasingly be given independent work to do and bring work home to do. We are always pleased to see children bring in work linked to the topic, but we would warn against too much work taken straight from the internet. Children should be taught to only use useful information as many sites are very complex and the children may not understand what they have printed.
There will be weekly literacy and maths homework. Occasional homework tasks will be linked to topics across the curriculum.
Creative homework tasks will be given each half-term. Parents are invited in to view and discuss pupils work every half-term.
Some exciting events for the children have already been planned:
- Friday 28th September – Year 6 will be selling cakes to raise money for MacMillan
- 8th -12th October – year 6 SCIENCE week
- Friday 12th October – Year 6 are at GTS all day taking part in a special BIG BANG science event.
Other dates for your diary this term:
- Year 6 Puberty/ Growing up talks – Thursday 1st November – Parents may see presentation at 1pm
- Parent Evenings – week beginning 5th November
- Book Fair –arriving on Thurs 15th November
Important future dates for Year 6
- SATS explained – Meeting for Parents in Jan 2019 date to be confirmed
- Year 6 SATS will be 13th May to 16th May 2019. ( Practice SATS is 7th May to 10th May)
- Year 6 Residential to Dartmoor is 22nd May to 24th May.
- Year 6 Show is planned for 10th July 2019. To be confirmed
If you would like to speak to either of us at any other time, please have a quick word at 8:50am or call in at the office and tell the administrator who will make an appointment.
A few points to note:
- PE kit – Shorts/ T shirt / jogging bottoms and trainers please. The children are out in the drizzle, so a change is important;
- Please send a fresh piece of fruit for morning break each day;
- Children need to have water bottles in school each day.
- Please ensure all clothing is labelled clearly
- We expect pupils to start learning at 9am.
- Pupils will need Wellies for Outdoor Learning later in the term.
Wishing you all the best for the term ahead.
Mrs Gagg & Mrs Dickinson
Class 6 Blog
- Thu, 20 Dec 2018 14:26:11 +0000: Congratulations - Class 6 | St. Helen's
- Thu, 20 Dec 2018 14:03:16 +0000: Merry Christmas. Year 6 have enjoyed Christmas activities this week. - Class 6 | St. Helen's
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 14:14:16 +0000: Happy Christmas from year 6 - Class 6 | St. Helen's
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 13:54:10 +0000: RE understanding Christianity. Moses and Pharaoh Conscience Alley - Class 6 | St. Helen's
- Thu, 13 Dec 2018 13:50:58 +0000: People of God. Understanding christianity - Class 6 | St. Helen's