More information coming soon!
Class 6 Blog
- Wed, 07 Mar 2018 12:32:01 +0000: Extracting DNA - Class 6 | St. Helen's
Last week, we learned that one of the key ways in which archaeologists learn about pre-history is through DNA testing, so we thought we'd give it a try!
We mashed up banana, then mixed it with an extraction liquid made from detergent (to pop open the cells), salt (to provide suspension) and water (to make the mixture thin enough to filter).
- Fri, 10 Nov 2017 14:01:47 +0000: Magistrates' Visit - Class 6 | St. Helen'sLocal magistrates, Mrs Gagg and Mr Cooper visited us to talk about their role in the community.
- Fri, 10 Nov 2017 12:31:50 +0000: Lest We Forget - Class 6 | St. Helen'sWe visited the war memorial in the church and chose one of the names to research back in class. Using the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website and our investigative skills, we identified the servicemen commemorated on Abbotsham's memorial and found out as much as we could about them. We had to sift through many entries looking for clues that we had found the righ person and some of us followed various lines of enquiry to see what else we could discover.
- Wed, 27 Sep 2017 14:18:18 +0000: History - Justifying the Roman Invasion - Class 6 | St. Helen's
Wow!!! What amazing historians. In just two lessons, we have begun to consider the rights and wrongs of one of the biggest themes in history - invasion. With the Romans and Celts to help us, and having considered some real life metaphors for invasion, we set out to understand what is meant by "justifying" and discovered its link to justice. Having used our inference and deduction to think about how the Romans justified their invasion of the British Isles, we realised we needed to learn more about the impact it had on the people of Britain. We had lots of questions... This is what we came up with!and this is what we found out?Next we needed to weigh up wither side of the argument... Just like judges!We created impact graphs, looking at opposing perspectives on the same impacts. Was in possible that the Roman and Britons could have have agreed about any aspects of the invasion??
- Wed, 27 Sep 2017 13:13:27 +0000: STEM Afternoon - Forces and Movement - Class 6 | St. Helen's